The buildings in Brú Chaoimhín Campus have a long historical past.
In October 1801 a group of men including Arthur Guinness , founder of the Guinness Brewery, met in Dublin’s Royal Exchange Buildings to consider a proposal to establish a fever hospital in Dublin. The institution they founded, the House of Recovery, Cork Street Fever Hospital opened its doors three years later in 1804.
Fifteen notable men in Dublin were elected as trustees but to name a few still well known to this day: John David LaTouche Esq, Samuel Bewley Esq, Arthur Guinness Esq.
In their first meeting in 1801, they concluded that there was an imminent need for a hospital in Dublin to look after the sick and poor population at the first symptoms of disease. A digital copy of the meeting minutes is available from the HSE – Dr.Stevens Library on www.lenus.ie, see here for further reading.
You can find more information about the trustees, planning of the bulding and the proposed site and fundraising to build the hospital via this link.